THE DAY BEFORE YOUR TAN:
1. Shave or wax any unwanted body hair. DO NOT shave right before your appointment.
2. Exfoliate body using an exfoliating mitt such as our Exfoliating Mitt available for purchase at our studio or here.
3. Apply lotion after exfoliating to ensure skin is thoroughly moisturized. Exfoliating without applying lotion after is simply scratching the skin. Do not exfoliate right before your spray tan appointment.
THE DAY OF YOUR TAN:
1. Shower at least 2 hours prior (or the night before for morning appts) to your appointment using a sulfate free liquid body wash (do not use bar soaps, not even Dove or Ivory!) to remove any dirt or oils. If you do not have a sulfate free liquid body wash just do a warm water rinse several hours prior to your tan. Be sure to wash your back after using hair conditioner, as it can leave a residue on the skin. DO NOT SHAVE right before your appointment.
2. Arrive to your appointment with clean skin, no makeup or lotion. Makeup remover, hair ties, and disposable underwear are available at the studio.
3. Most women tan in a bikini or underwear, while some choose to go topless with just a thong, or nothing at all. Men must spray tan in either swim trunks, underwear, or shorts. When selecting your tanning clothes, it's important to think about tan lines, for instance if you are planning on wearing a strapless dress, you want to tan either topless or in a bandeau style top.
4. Be sure to bring dark, loose clothes & sandals to wear after and be prepared to avoid water and sweating for at least 8 hours. If it is raining please bring a loose long sleeve shirt and loose pants or a maxi dress, also an umbrella. One drop of water on your new tan will leave a flaw, so it's very important to avoid getting rained on.
5. For best results, do NOT shower less than right before before your appointment. Doing so can negatively impact the tanning results, causing streaks or a lighter color than desired.
6. Avoid washing your hands (including doing dishes, giving children a bath, etc) for at least 6 hours after the tan, use a baby wipe or hand sanitizer instead.
7. Avoid water, rain, perspiring, and tight clothing for 8 hours. You may shower 8 or more hours after your appointment, but just a simple warm water rinse, no soap for 24 hours. Do not wash your hands for 8 hours after the tan. You may use hand sanitizer or baby wipes on your palms only.
8. DO NOT allow bare skin on leather or light fabric seats & furniture for at least 4 hours after your tanning session, sit on a towel or cloth instead.
9. You will see color washing off the first time you shower, this is just the bronzer that was applied, your tan is not washing off. Your skin will continue to darken as the self-tan reaction occurs over the course of 4-24 hours.
TIPS & TRICKS
1. Any massages, manicures, pedicures and/or facials should be performed prior to your spray tan.
2. Bring pants, long sleeves, and an umbrella if it is raining on the day of your appointment.
3. If you have leather interior and are wearing shorts or a dress, bring a towel to sit on for the drive home so your bare skin does not touch the leather.
4. Do not use any products containing mineral oil, especially baby oil as it will remove the tan or cause streaks. Do not spray perfume directly on your spray as the alcohol can cause streaks, spray it on your clothes instead.
24 HOURS AFTER YOUR TAN
1.. DO NOT use bar soaps (not even Dove or Ivory!) as these contain ingredients that strip the skin of natural oils and leave a residue. Use 'Sulfate Free' liquid soap. When drying the skin after showering, pat with the towel, do not rub.
2. Moisturize twice a day with mineral oil free lotion, such as our Tan Extend lotion available for purchase at the studio or here.
3. When shaving, use a sharp razor and use hair conditioner instead of shave gels or foams as these products contain alcohol and can cause streaks. Do not shave for 24 hours after the tan.
4. DO NOT wax or use hair removal creams, these will remove the tan completely, threading is ok.
5. When showering, use your hand instead of a washcloth, body puff, or loofah as these products can exfoliate the tan, causing streaks. Do not wash with bar soaps & avoid using body washes with sulfates or mineral oil.
6. When swimming or soaking in the hot tub, use a waterproof sunscreen or coconut oil to help seal the skin to prevent fading.
7. The use of alpha hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, etc will increase exfoliation and accelerate the fading process of your tan.